Sunday, October 29, 2023

Bangkok 2023 : City Update, Iconic Breakfast & Jim Thompson House

How is Bangkok nowadays from someonw who visit Bangkok 8 years ago haha. Well, maybe I cant really compare it with how it was 8 years ago because the way I explore this time is a bit different with my last visit. This time I more want to experience local things and some artsy things. 

Well, start from the transportation. I like when you can use your VISA or Master credit card directly tap to Bangkok MRT without any registration first. So you no need to buy a rabbit card or buy the one time ticket everytime you took MRT. But its only for MRT not BTS ya. For BTS you still need to have rabbit card or buy one time ticket on the spot. 

I found out Bangkok is so artsy this day. I found there is many art exhibition 文創 every 3weekend in different places and different theme. The first time I found it actually Books & Beers and its so interesting, feels like they really love their masterpiece and want to share with others. Also the things they sell is in reasonable price and good quality. So in love. 

Starting from my visit there I found instagram of one of the stand there they sell tea bag & lipbalm and I start to follow each exhibition and start found another artist that I love their masterpiece. 

I can spend hours to strolling around that exhibition, so in love. 

Feels like Bangkok vibe is supporting the creativity & local tenants. In some office building also they have the space for local tenant to sell their food 1 time a week. It's so affordable and the seller really do this as their marketing source. They really take care about the brand, give some brand sticker so when you like it you can find them in social media. Well I think I will write 1 post about what I eat in BKK street food haha. 

This time its really works as I found several item I love thru the instagram where they put it on their brand. 

I'm not really a shopper but I love to got some pieces from some meaningful seller and the art haha. 

Also you can visit MRT artwork like 

What to eat for breakfast in Bangkok? 

Well, as a morning person I love to search what local breakfast I can try. Few options you can try like grilled pork (usually they like to have with sticky rice) & pork congee with soft boiled egg. These what you could found in the street with very affordable price. 

If you want to have a unique yet interesting breakfast in Bangkok, I recommend you : On Lok Yun & Jok Prince 

On Lok Yun is a 80 years classic Thai-American breakfast near MRT Sam Yot. I really recommend it, you should come early, they have long queue event its very fast to get seat and serve the meal. You need to pick a queue number when you arrive and they will note down how many people for each number then you just need to wait until they call your number, go inside and order. 




The street is really classic one and convenience for the transportation by MRT also. The food is very classic, the cha yen (aka milk tea) is very good not too sweet. Overall I really like this shop and highly recommend. 

Next is Jok Prince, so this is a traditional porridge store who got Michellin for years. What is the different with the street food congee is the wok hay flavor --- its like burnt taste on the porridge.


Pork congee + offals + century egg and crysanthemum tea

It's also near by BTS Saphan Taksin. Mostly the staff only speak Thai and also the queue is not that manageable as On Lok Yun its like you need to keep your eye on the staff & the queue to make sure you can get your seat. 

Where to visit in Bangkok?

As I said I'm not a good shopper but here some of the recommendation : 

1. Chatuchak Weekend Market (take off on the MRT Kampaeng Phaet exit 1) 

2. Jodd Fair & Central Rama 9 (MRT Phra Ram 9) 

3. Terminal 21 (MRT Sukhumvit)

4. Sam Yot 

5. Siam

Rather than shopping, I found there is a hidden gems here that not really booming, its Jim Thompson house. Well, so I like to find an interesting place to visit but still in Bangkok and a chill one then I found this great place that not very common destination for asian tourist, and also I never hear about this place previously. 

Here we are visiting Jim Thompson house. Yes, the name on the silk brand. Its open at 10 AM you can take the nearest BTS is National Stadium station and walk around 7 mins. Its quiet easy to find. Make sure you come early because its so hot and more people after that. You should take the first group guided tour, its include in the ticket, available in chinese, english, france. 


Oh ya I found in google said for the outfit have prohibited but when I was there I also see someone wear sleeveless top. But just in case to worryless you can wear the polite one, tshirt and pants or dress below knee. 

The tour is around 45 minutes actually its not that interactive or interesting for me but the building and arts itself is the things I love the most. 

Who is Jim Thompson? In short he is an American who came to Thai for military purpose and fall in love with Thailand, after he left military he start silk business. He has architecture background that you can feel in every corner of his house. Then where he is now? No one know. He went to Malaysia and disappear there so until now no one know where is he. 

The house itself manage by the stakeholders of Jim Thompson foundation. There is cafe and resto in the balcony that also very artistic and a building beside for event I think. 































Nah after walking that much and you need some massage I suggest Health Land. It’s a big chain of massage centre I think and you can choose Traditional Thai Massage THB 650 for 2 hours. You will have personal room with cool AC and great massage skill madam haha. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comment down below :)